Thursday 24 October 2013

My Hajj Diary - Day 9

Day 9 (16/10/2013)  

Am sitting in the hot tent.  Alhamdulillah, I finished the second jamrat this morning just after fajr.  Poor Shahidah, her blisters have burst and the doctor told her that she needs to stay off her feet.  So, insha Allah, I will be doing her last jamrat for her.  Allah has been very merciful to me this hajj.  Other than a brief migraine and some sore hip, I have been relatively healthy enough to perform all the rites.  I am trying to keep up my health because there are two more acts to perform.

That was my du'a other than Shahidah's well being during the jamrat. Had been worried about her feet. Anyway, if she can't do the jamrat, I will do it for her.  And if she can't do the tawaf wada' (the farewell tawaf), she is free to go.

This morning, around breakfast time, had an interesting discussion with Sis Fyza and Yusria regarding the Qur'an, sunnah and hadith.  I am glad to hear that Fyza is thinking along similar lines.  May Allah give her strength to do what she wishes to do.  We need people who can speak up and not be afraid.

Ya Allah, today has been the strangest day.  Help the sister, Ya Allah.  She truly is needing your help.  Her condition had gotten worse since I met her several days ago at the Aziziyah. At first, she just seems enthusiastic and a bit over the top but today, she turned violent.  The sisters did well to try and keep her calm but it didn't help.  She needed professional help.

Something Shahidah said today made a lot of sense.  It links to what I said to her in the Haram yesterday.  I said this is the first time I felt like a musafir (a traveller).  Today, she said that hajj is preparing us or reminding us that we are on a journey where we tend to carry too many baggage.  It taught her to travel light.

Masya Allah, she is right.  We carry too much baggage even though we are only travellers in this world.  We need to travel light: perhaps that is one of the meaning of the ones 'who walk gently on this earth.'  That as guests of Allah on this creation of His, we shouldn't be ungrateful guests.  Two points:
1.  Too much baggage
It is more difficult to move freely.  Just look at the chaos to come to Mina with people carrying loads.  But when we went to Arafah, we were more fluid because we only carriedd really essential stuff.  I thought I carried only essentials but so many things I brought ended up not ussed.  So a lesson here is that we really get attached to things which seem essential but actually is not.  E.g. work:  since I have been here, I have not thought about work till now that is.
And remember, we all return to Him without any of things that we can really bring with us.
2.  Impact on Earth
Looking at the state of the Haram, Mina, Muzdalifah and Arafat, I am sad.  Look at the rubbish everywhere.  Bottles, tissues, peels and whatever else.  I think we used billions of bottles and it is just thrown away and not recycled.  (and not even thrown away in a responsible manner!) Where are our manners in being His guests in His House?  And cleanliness is part of Islam.  So where is it?  Caring for the earth is part of our duty as Allah's representatives.  And yet we are leaving behind millions of tonnes of rubbish which will pollute the environment.
So, we need to understand this responsibility that Allah has bestowed on us.  By truly living a life of a traveller, you realise that a traveller shouldn't leave a print of himself/herself on the place she/he is visiting.

No comments: