Tuesday 22 October 2013

My Hajj Diary - Day 1

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Dispenser of Grace.

Alhamdulillah, I was invited this year to be His guest for Hajj this year.  Some people are invited many times over while others struggle to get invited.  So, alhamdulillah for the invitation and no one can predict the future, however, there is something in me that tells me that this is to be my first and last hajj.  May Allah accept it.

Thus, on this brilliant,demanding and at times scary journey, I have written an ongoing diary of my observations, thoughts etc.  I hope by sharing some of the entries of the diary, others can benefit from my experiences.

Wassalam,
Sid

------------------------------------
Day 1 (8/10/2013)
5.30 am - Alhamdulillah!  Alhamdulillah!  We have arrived safely in the beloved city of the Prophet s.a.w.  Miracles do happen - Shahidah is absolutely fine after 5.5 hours of flight.  Insha Allah, we are on the bus, waiting to be taken to our hotel.  Alhamdulillah! Alhamdulillah!  I hope that the rest of the journey will be as smooth.  May Allah grant me patience throughout this journey.  Right now, I am looking forward to be in the company of the Prophet and the Companions in the blessed city.  Alhamdulillah for His call.  Labbaik!

8.43 am - Finally arrived at the hotel after a long delay at the airport parking lot.  Now we have to wait till 12 pm to check in.

2.30 pm - Went to Masjid Nabawi for Dzuhur.

4.00 pm - Right now, sitting in the Masjid after Asr.  Alhamdulillah finally showered and changed clothes.  What a ni'mah, that is.  What is more a ni'mah is to be able to sit here in the relative calmness of the Prophet's mosque.  Sent my salam to the Prophet earlier.  I pray that God will let me be amongst His grateful servants like the Prophet s.a.w. and his companions.  Let me never be ungrateful for His favours upon me.


I was reading the following verse in the Quran:
و إذا دُعُوا إلى الله ورسولهِ لِيَحْكُمَ بينهم إذا فَريق مِنهم معرضون

(When they are called to/summoned unto God and His Apostle that he/it might judge between them, lo! a party of them turn away)

And I had two different translations in my kindle for the term ليحْكم.  In one translation, it said "he might judge", i.e. that the Prophet, and in another translation, "it [the divine writ] might judge".  The ability to interprete  ليحْكم into the two different interpretation gives rise into a rich meaning of the term -

1.  Who judges?
2.  If the Prophet s.a.w., how does he continue to judge even after his death?  In what sense?
3.  If it is the Qur'an (divine writ), how does it act as a judge?
4.  What implications do the different interpretation have upon us?

And yet there are other words with precise meaning in the Qur'an for which if you substitute a different word, the meaning changes.  What a beautiful book, Masha Allah.

Summary:  All in all, alhamdulillah, a good day if a bit tiring.  Been able to pray all the 4 prayers in Masjid Al-Nabawi.  Soaking in the peace and marveling at the diversity of Muslims.




No comments: