Sunday 16 November 2008

St Andrews visit (2nd Nov 2008)

So, these are the pictures for the St. Andrew's trip. Not as spectular scenery as the highland trip I took before but it had a charm of its own. Now, below is the fishing village of Pittenweem, the number one port along the East Nenk. Note the extremely low tide and the beautiful sky.


Due to the really low tide, some of us (the more adventurous souls) decided to go all the way out to the edge of the waters.

The rest of us stay close to shore...like Siham (my flatmate) and I. We explored the port instead.


Okay, maybe I was a bit brave - I did venture out onto the slippery rocks and got this shot of the village skyline.


Of course, we weren't all serious explorers; some of us tried to relive our childhood too...tentatively.

And what would a trip be without the charming animals - here's the obligatory "cat in the window." :)

Then we made our way to another fishing village, Anstruther, where we visited the Scottish Fisheries Museum. The museum is amazing!! It traced back the history of fishing in Scotland to long before Christ. They actually got this archeological find of an ancient boat and the fishing equipments. Cool! The museum also had a section where they restored old boats and we can actually see them working. Unfortunately, we weren't allowed to take pictures inside the museum. So, here's a replacement picture of the harbour with its oh so beautiful blue sky...one of the loveliest days I've experienced in Scotland.



Anstruther is not just known for the museum but also for its fish and chips shop - see the long queue? Well, this fish bar is the best in the whole of Britain for several years.


That's Hajar and her delicious fish and chips!


After lunch, we headed to St. Andrews. As I mentioned, this is the birthplace of golf, but it is also where the oldest university in Scotland (St. Andrews University) is based. St. Andrews University was established by the monks and priests of St. Andrews. St. Andrews was the centre of religious activity after the monarchy decided to move it from Iona and St. Andrews Cathedral was built. Anyway, today, the cathedral lay in ruins because of neglect.
Apart from these significant historical places, we have to have at least a token castle for the trip and below is that castle. This castle was used by the powerful bishops of St. Andrews till the time of the Protestant/Catholic fighting. Look at the ruins - the castle was really very vast and was built on the edge of the cliff.


I like this picture of the only other Singaporean I've actually met (there's one in my FRM course). Wilbur is a sweet guy...I think being the few Singaporeans around, we kind of bonded. He's actually doing acturial studies.



When I shot this, I thought that the people climbing about the ruins looked like toys in a lego set. Anyway, it was just a whim.



Hajar took this shot for Siham and me at the St. Andrews cathedral - see the tower. That's one end of the cathedral.


The picture below was taken from the other end of the cathedral. Note how far the tower is from me? That's how vast the cathedral was. Now, the grounds is used as a burial ground.


Okay, Hajar is a good photographer. I love this picture she took of me standing on the altar stone at the other end of the cathedral.


Now, for the oldest golf course in the world! Okay, it's not the fanciest nor the biggest, but this is the first golf course and it's where the golf rules are made.


And what's remarkable about the golf course is that it's right next to the beach, as seen below with Siham, Menal, and Flora.


Beach and sunset - good combination but the beach was on the wrong side (east instead of west). Still, I managed to find this slither of sunset behind me. I was using the timer and sunset function for this shot - turned out okay.

Had to take the skyline of St. Andrews below.

and the long stretch of beach.


Here's the quadrangle of St. Andrews University. I wish my university was this charming...hmm...seems like all the universities I've attended do not have this kind of old charm to them.



























No comments: